I was asked a long with a few others, to participate in a meme by the lovely Kate on Thin Ice to discuss as the title says, our highs and lows. I think its important to discuss both the positives and negative aspects in our lives in order to appreciate the goodness that often goes unnoticed when we have times when things are difficult as it reminds us that not all is doom and gloom and that there is a balance. So here goes. Please check out Kate’s site and her own answers.
1.What was your happiest event: There have been a few this year.. one was seeing my daughter start school and the other was finding out that we were expecting a new baby after experiencing a few miscarriages.
2. What was the saddest thing to happen: Probably experiencing pre natal depression for a short while after getting hyperemesis again for the second time and my daughter having to witness it but not understanding what was happening.
3.What was the most unlikely thing to happen that actually went ahead and did: I got up in front of 200 or more people, health professionals, midwives,psychiatrists,psychologists,social workers etc and I presented a film based on my experience and other women’s experiences with Post Natal Depression.
4. Who let you down: Two friends who tried to convince me of something that I was already fully aware of and not trusting in my own ability to know my own self. I identified my prenatal depression, approached my doc when I started feeling unwell and put the wheels in motion. Its disappointing when someone else puts their own personal gain ahead of friendship.
5. Who supported you: My real friends, my husband and someone who could see the situation clearly for what it was. Who recognized my own strengths and ability to be proactive and self aware
6. Tell us one thing you learned: Good friends don’t judge, they listen and they support. That I am stronger than i thought, I am a good person, and things can change if you want them to
7. Tell us one thing that made you laugh:When my daughter asked me if I was taking part in Movember… as i had neglected my upper lip erm… tash due to hyperemesis..
8. Tell us one thing that made you cry: being so physically and mentally exhausted by hyperemesis, the kindness of those women and men who supported me via twitter when I needed to rant and rave on the really tough days.
9. Tell us three things your child or children did to make you feel proud: Start school despite her fears, and tears but going in and really liking it ! Telling me that santa must have missed out boys and girls cause she had gotten so many presents which means she was being mindful of others, Just being a free spirit!
10. Tell us one thing that made you proud of yourself: Getting help as soon as I saw my moods decline with my pregnancy and not feeling ashamed.
11. Tell us one challenge you overcame:Learning ti like myself and see myself in a positive way. Its a work in progress but I’m getting there and so very proud. Not being so hard on yourself and seeing your strengths is really empowering as well as physically uplifting.
12. Tell us three things you would like to change about your life in 2013: possibly be more organised, do a course that I had to postpone and changing my look back to how I used to dress before my first pregnancy!
Anyone can join in this meme
Thank You Kate for hosting this, please do have a look on her site. She is one inspirational woman!